Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I hate moving.


We moved a couple of weeks ago.  It was 105 degrees.  I am a pack rat.  These things do not equal fun.  I come by this pack rat thing naturally as my dad is basically a hoarder…but that’s another story.  I’ve never really wanted to OWN a house.  Buying a house just seems really stressful to me.  But moving makes me wish I could buy one so I NEVER EVER have to move again.  Moving stinks.

I hate packing.  I hate stressing out over the packing.  I hate not being able to take time off and thus being down to the wire to get the last stuff out of the old place.  Oh…and for the love of parsley….I hate cleaning up the old place.  It’s so miserable.  It doesn’t help that I am completely domestically challenged and would rather mow the lawn and change the oil than clean the house.

Now that all of that negative is out there…let’s look at the positive side of moving.  I have SO much more space now.  I moved from a two bedroom, two bath apartment… into a three bedroom, two bath house with a two car garage.  PLUS – neither of my children moved with me.  The house is all mine and my husband’s.  We each have an extra closet.  I have a whole guest bathroom I can fill with my ridiculous amount of hair product and toiletries I don’t need.  There are ceiling fans in every room, unlike our apartment which only had one in the living room.  The A/C works ten times better than my apartment one.  I have a garage I can park my car in so the door doesn’t burn me when I shut it and in the winter I don’t have to scrape ice off the windows.  I am now four miles from my job and have a ten minute commute each way.  It. Is. Glorious.

I also enjoy unpacking and getting everything reorganized.  I like seeing how much stuff I got rid of and putting everything in it’s place instead of having things piled up everywhere.  It’s a good feeling, that.  I can actually FIND stuff.  How about that?  I mean...there is still the frustration of having too much stuff and not being able to find that "perfect" place for every single item...but that's a small price to pay.

And the very best part of moving for me?  Buying new stuff for the new house.  We need a trashcan.  We keep telling each other to remember that.  Which makes me laugh and quote Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure…”Remember a trash can…”  We need new kitchen stuff like towels and pot holders and oven mitts.  We need planters now that we have all this yard to make pretty.  We need curtains and guest bathroom decorations and baskets and organizing items and shelves and oh holy crap this expensive!  But I love it.

On top of all this…we have also decided to stop decorating our house as if we are broke college students.  Up to now we have had a futon and wire rack shelving in our living room.  I have hated it for a long time.  But now we decided to bite the bullet and go and buy a real shelving unit and a real couch.  I love Ikea.

So, while this is me spending a ton of cash I probably shouldn’t spend…it makes me incredibly happy to have a place I am able to invite people to visit me in.  No worrying about angry, downstairs neighbors or a place so small only 5 people can comfortably sit down.  This is an awesome thing.

In the end…I do hate the physical action of moving.  But I am really excited about the results.  The husband gave me the green light to throw a Halloween party.  It’s only August and I’m already looking at decorations.

I love moving!

2 comments:

  1. I totally remember commenting to this last night. That is so weird. Maybe blog spot ate my comment. How strange.

    Umm I think I said something about Jessie and I having a system when we move. He packs and moves everything (because I hate packing and physically can not move anything) and then I unpack everything (because he hates unpacking and would live out of boxes forever if he could.)

    I do love the catharsis of cleaning out the old and refinding treasures when you unpack. I also love decorating my new place and all the new things I get to buy.

    We stopped buying college level furnishings forever ago. We decided we would rather spend $200 on one nice item than spend $50 on a similar particle board pos every year and a half for 10 years. That and the real stuff is prettier.

    Anyways congrats on your new place. I hope it feels like home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting there...still trying to find a home for all the leftover little stuff...and trying to find time to buy the new stuff we need. Well and find the money too. It's a process but we are getting pretty close. I definitely like the new space...am looking forward to having friends over.

    ReplyDelete